Making Bad Choices
        In my research as a psychologist at the university, I study decision-making. I study why people make bad choices, and look to find how I can make more people make good choices. The technical terms for good and bad choices are self-control and impulsiveness. This line of study is of no small consequence, and it affects us in every aspect of our lives. Many things influence us when we make choices and our cultural background is one of them. As you all probably know, one of the tenets of Tae Kwon Do is to teach self-discipline, which leads to self-control.
Things that feel good to us at the moment tend to be bad for us in the long-run (impulsive choices). Things that don’t feel good to us at the moment tend to be better for us in the long-run (self-controlled choices). The world would be a better place if everyone would always choose the self-controlled option, but boy is it hard sometimes.
Let me take the example of studying English. You know how many Korean people have difficulties because of their trouble with English in their everyday lives here in America. Yet they choose to suffer those troubles once in a while rather than studying English regularly. They know studying English will greatly benefit them in the long-run even though they have to suffer for a brief time while studying English. People do this because they don’t see the positive outcome right away.
Koreans though are quite good at making the right choices when it comes to health. Once when visiting Korea, I was with my brother-in-law at an outdoor market. One of the vendors was selling a dark green drink which was supposed to clean the blood. My brother-in-law bought two cups. I tried really hard, but I could not help put turn my nose up at that one. It looked like someone took fresh grass clippings and put them into a blender and pureed them. It tasted like it to! My brother-in-law, on the other hand, drank down the whole cup with a big smile on his face I couldn’t believe others were also paying for that horrible-tasting drink and drinking it up! However, the reason Korean people subjected themselves to such a terrible taste was that it is better for their health in the long-run. Clearly, this was a fine example of self-controlled decision making. They don’t get the positive outcome right away, but they are willing to suffer now for a better outcome in the long run.
Unfortunately, not all the decisions we make show self-control. Many of our decisions are made impulsively, made simply because they feel good at the moment. Granted, impulsiveness often gives us the spice of life, but impulsive decision-making is the universal root of all of our problems. Problems as far ranging as drug and alcohol addiction to poor study skills come from a lack of self-control. Modern society (both America and Korea) is geared toward impulsiveness. For the poor student trying to do the right thing and study for a test (to increase long-term benefits), there are a million other distractions (ipods, video games, television, etc), which are always more fun at the moment than studying. A large part of an advertiser’s job is to convince you to spend your time and money impulsively on things you really don’t need! How can we be expected to make good choices when so many people tempt us to make bad choices?
In a famous research study in psychology, a pretzel stick and a marshmallow (the kids preferred the marshmallow) were placed in front of a child and the child was told that they could not eat them. The child was told that the adult (experimenter) was going to leave the room and they were to wait. If the child felt they could not wait, they could ring a bell and the adult would return and the child could eat the pretzel stick. However, if the children could wait until the adult returned without ringing the bell, they could have the marshmallow. Some kids were able to wait for the preferred marshmallow, some could not and rang the bell and received the less desirable pretzel stick. The researchers followed up with these children years later and found that the kids that were able to wait for the marshmallow when they were young children were the most successful in school in later years and received the highest scores on college entrance exams.
The lesson is quite simple, if we could be better at exhibiting self-control, our lives would be much better. The ability to make self-controlled decisions would benefit us in almost every aspect of our lives. It is probably the greatest skill we can teach our children. In the next column I will discuss some reasons we might make bad choices and ways we might be able to make better choices. Stay tuned.

잘못된 선택

심리학자로서 대학에서 제가 하는 연구는 의사결정에 관한 것입니다. 왜 사람들이 나쁜 선택을 하는지 어떻게 하면 더 많은 사람들로 하여금 좋은 선택을 하게 만들수 있는가를 연구 하는 것입니다. 학문적인 용어로는 좋은 선택을 ‘자제력’으로, 나쁜 선택을 ‘충동성’으로 부릅니다.이는 아주 중요한 연구로서, 우리 인생의 모든 면에 큰 영향을 미칩니다. 우리가 선택을 하는데에 있어 여러가지 요소에 의해 영향을 받는데 문화적인 요인도 그중에 하나입니다. 여러분이 잘아시는 태권도의 원칙에도 자기 훈련이 포함되는데 이는 자제력으로 연결됩니다.

지금 당장 우리를 기분 좋게 해주는 것들이 장기적으로 볼때는 우리에게 나쁜 경향이 있습니다(충동적 선택). 반대로 지금 당장은 힘이 들지만 장기적으로 볼때 우리에게 더 좋은 것들이 있지요(절제된 선택). 모든 사람들이 항상 절제된 행동들을 선택 한다면 세상이 참 더 좋아질텐데 말이죠. 하지만 어떤 때는 그게 얼마나 힘이드는지요.

영어 공부를 예로 들어봅시다. 이곳 미국에 살면서 얼마나 많은 한국 사람들이 매일 영어 때문에 어려움을 겪습니까.  그런데도 사람들은 지금 당장 매일 영어 공부를 하는 것보다, 영어 때문에 어쩌다 한번씩 겪는 어려움을 선택합니다. 영어 공부를 하느라 지금 잠깐 고생할지라도, 장기적으로 불 때 그것이 나에게 큰 도움이 된다는 것을 알면서도 말입니다. 사람들이 긍정적인 결과를 당장 보지 못하기 때문에 그렇죠.

그런데 건강 문제에 관한 한 한국 사람들은 올바른 선택을 하는데 탁월함을 보입니다.  제가 한국을 방문 하던중 한번은, 한국의 제 형님과 길거리 시장을 지나게 되었습니다. 길거리에서 진한 ‘녹즙’이라는 것을 팔고 있었는데 그것이 피를 맑게 하는데 좋다는거였어요. 제 동서가 두잔을 샀죠. 저는 정말로 이해할려고 노력을 해 보았지만 얼굴을 찡그리지 않을 수 없었습니다. 누가 꼭 신선한 들풀을 깎아서 믹서에 갈아 엑기스를 만들어 놓은 것 같았으니까요. 맛도 꼭 그렇던데요! 하지만 제 동서는 씨익 미소를 지으며 한잔을 꿀떡 다 마시는 것이었습니다. 다른 많은 사람들이 그 끔찍한 맛의 음료를 돈 주고 사서 다 마셔버리는데 저는 놀래버렸죠! 그러나 한국 사람들이 그 역겨운 맛을 마다하지 않는 이유는 장기적으로 볼 때  그것이 건강에 좋기 때문입니다. 바로 이것이 자기절제된 의사결정의 좋은 예인 것입니다. 당장 결과를 보지 못해도 장기적으로 보아 더 나은 결과를 위해 기꺼이 지금 고생을 감수 하는 것입니다.

불행하게도 우리가 모든 결정에 있어 자기 통제를 보이는 것은 아닙니다. 많은 결정들이 충동적으로 나오는데 이는 당장 기분이 좋아지기 때문입니다. 충동성에서 우리가 인생의 맛을 느끼는 것은 사실이지만, 충동적인 의사결정이야말로 우리가 가진 모든 문제의 보편적인 근원입니다. 마약과 알콜중독에서 학업 능력에 이르기까지 다양한 문제들이 자제력 부족에서 생기는 것입니다. 현대 사회( 한국과 미국 둘다) 는 충동성에 따라 움직입니다. 올바른 결정을 해서 시험 공부를 하려는(장기적 이득 지향) 학생에게 수만가지 방해꾼들( ipod, 비디오게임,TV등)이 있습니다. 이 방해꾼들이야말로 공부 하는 것보다 항상 더 재미나지요. 광고를 만드는 사람들의 일은 쓸다리 없는 것들에 여러분의 시간과 돈을 충동적으로 쓰게 하려는 것이 주된 목적입니다. 이렇게 많은 사람들이 우리로 하여금 나쁜 선택을 하도록 유혹 하는데, 어떻게 하면 우리가 좋은 선택을 할 수 있을까요?

유명한 심리학 연구 중에, 프레쩰 과자와 마쉬멜로우(아이들이 더 좋아하는 것)를 어린아이들 앞에 놓았습니다. 어른 (실험자)이 그방을 떠나면서 아이더러 그자리에서 기다리라고 했습니다. 만약 기다리지 못할 것 같으면 종을 울릴 수 있으며, 그러면 어른이 올 것이고 아이는 프레쩰 과자를 먹을 수 있었습니다. 그러나  종을 울리지 않고 어른이 돌아올 때까지 기다릴 수 있으면 아이는 마쉬멜로우를 먹을 수 있었습니다. 어떤 아이들은 더 좋아하는 마쉬멜로우를 먹을 수 있을 때까지 기다릴 수 있었고, 어떤 아이들은 기다리지 못해서 종을 울렸고 덜 좋아하는 프레쩰 과자를 받았습니다.  연구원들이 수년 후에 이 아이들을 추적 해보니, 어렸을 때 마쉬멜로우를 기다릴 수 있었던 어린이들은 후에 학교에서 가장 뛰어난 학생들이 되어 있었고 대학 입학 시험에도 가장 높은 성적들을 받았답니다.

교훈은 간단하지요. 자제력을 보인다면 우리의인생이 훨씬 나아질 것입니다. 자기 절제된 결정을 할 수 있는 능력은 우리 인생 전반에 결쳐 우리에게 득이 될 것입니다. 이것이야말로 우리가 우리 아이들에게 가르칠 수 있는 최고의 기술이겠지요.
게시글 주소 복사하기 (파폭,크롬에서 실행되지 않습니다.)

도레미 활성화를 위해서 자주 가시는 사이트에 링크해주세요. 감사 ^^;

추천 비추천