아내와 어느날 ‘My Big Fat Greek Wedding’이라는 영화를 보다가 아주 재미있는 것을 발견 했습니다. 영화에서 보여지는 그리스 이민 가정은 음식과 먹는 행위에 거의 광적인 집착을 보이는 것이었습니다. 사람들이 모일 때마다 먹는 것이었어요. 교제의 과정에 먹는 것을 그렇게 중요시 한다는 것이 미국인인 저에게는 얼마나 이상하던지요.

언젠가 제아내와 함께 위스콘신에 있는 옛날 대학 친구를 방문 했던 때가 기억납니다. 그친구는 저와 가장 친한 친구였는데 못본지 5년이 넘었었지요. 그의 아파트에 들렀을 그는 탄산음료를 내놓았습니다. 우리는 한동안 얘기를 나누다가 자리를 떴죠. 한국인인 아내는 친구 부부가 간식꺼리는 커녕, 저녁을 준비하지 않았다는 사실에 대해 충격을 받았습니다. 우리는 그를 만나려 멀리 뉴욕에서 왔는데 그친구는 우리와 저녁 먹자는 제안조차 하지 않았다는 것이었죠. 저는 음식 대접과 환영을 동일시 하지 않기 때문에 저에게는 이상할 것이 없었습니다. 이일이 얼마나 이상한 경험이었던지 그이후에도 아내는 여러번 저에게 그때의 이야기를 꺼냅니다. 당시에는 음식을 대접하지 않은 친구에 대해 저는 전혀 이상하게 생각하지 않았지만, 한국 문화에 대해 알고 보니까 이제는 그일이 그렇게 제아내에게 이상하게 생각 되었는지 이해가 됩니다.

사실 바로 몇주 전에 여러사람과 함께한 저녁 식사 자리에서도 그런 경우가 이상하게 여겨진다는 것을 발견했습니다. 그날 저녁을 준비한 주인도 비슷한 경험이 있었더군요. 그녀는 코리안 아메리칸으로서 미국에서 자랐고 미국 문화에서 편안함을 느끼는 세대에 속합니다. 그녀가 장거리를 운전해서 친구를 방문 했는데 탄산음료와 견과류만 대접 받았답니다. 아내처럼, 음식 대접을 못받았다는 사실에 대해 그녀도 충격을 받았던거죠. 그날의 저녁식가 자리에 있던 다른 사람이 농담처럼 말하기를 한국 손님이 가길 원하면, 음식만 치우면 된다해서 우리 모두 함께 웃었습니다.

미국 문화에서는 누군가를  방문하면 먼저 하는 인사말이 잘지내요?”입니다. 하지만 한국 문화에서는 먼저 묻는 말이 식사 하셨어요?”이죠. 먹을 것이 귀했던 옛날시절에서 기인한 인사말이라는 것이 아내의 설명입니다. 상대방이 끼니를 걸르지는 않았는지를 물음으로 그사람에 대한 관심과 배려를 보이는 것입니다.

미국 사람들도 일반적으로 먹는걸 좋아합니다. 한국 사람들은 함께 먹는 것과 사랑을 나누는 것을 동일시 하는 반면, 미국 사람들의 음식 문화는 각자가 자라 가정마다 다르다고 봅니다. 미국 사람들은 식사 초대를 받지 않은 , 자기 가족을 포함해서 다른 사람들을 방문할 음식 대접을 기대하지 않습니다. 사람들이 모이면 어떤 가정은 한상 차려놓고 먹고 어떤 가정은 그렇게 하지않죠. 고향인 위스콘신에 있는 제가족의 예를 들자면, 그들은 먹는걸 별로 좋아하지 않습니다. 음식은 그들의 생활에 중요한 비중을 차지하지 않습니다. 아내는 시댁 식구들이 차가운 사람들이라고 처음에 느꼈죠. 모이면 같이 음식을 나누지는 않고 얘기만 나누었으니까요. 저는 그런 가정에서 자랐지만, 한국인 부인을 덕택에 지금은 어울려 음식 먹는 것을 아주 좋아하게 되었습니다.

아들이 친구네 집에 놀러가면, 저는 식사 시간이 되기전에 아이를 집에 데려옵니다. 또한 특별히 우리 아이를 식사 초대 하지 않은 , 친구 부모들도 아이가 집에 돌아갈 것을 기대 합니다. 한편 아이가 한국 친구 집에 놀러가면 그가정이 어떻게  우리아이를 대접 하는지 저는 보았습니다. 저는 남에게 너무 폐를 끼친다고 생각했지만, 우리 아이를 먹여서 보내더군요. 아버지로서 그들이 좋은 사람들이라는 생각이 들었습니다. 저도 점점 한국 사람이 되어가나 봅니다. 아내가 미국 사람이 되어가는 만큼 말이죠.

생각해볼수록 음식에 대한 한국 사람들의 태도는 미국 사람들의 태도와  별반 다르지 않지만, 차이점이라면 한국 사람들은 거의 모두가 음식에 대한 태도가 동일한 반면, 미국 사람들은 다양한 반응을 보인다는 것입니다. 어떤 사람들은 사람들과의 교제에서 음식의 역할을 크게 생각하고 어떤 사람들은 그렇지 않습니다.음식에 대한 태도는 문화적 배경과 각자 다른 성장배경에서 나온다는 사실 때문일 것입니다. 이에 대한 옳고 그른 태도는 정해져 있지 않지만 저는 친구들 가족들과 함께 한상 차려먹는 식이 더좋던데요.

Attitudes toward Food and Eating

My wife and I were watching a movie together called My Big Fat Greek Wedding. While watching I noticed something very interesting. The Greek immigrant family shown in the movie seemed to be almost obsessed with food and eating. Every time people would meet, they would be eating. How strange to me as an American to place such emphasis on eating in the social process.

I remember one time when my wife and I went to visit an old college roommate of mine in Wisconsin. We were the best of friends and I hadn’t seen him in over 5 years. When we got to his apartment, he offered us a soda. We talked for a while, then we left. My wife (who is Korean) found it really shocking that my friend and his wife did not prepare dinner, or at least some snacks. We had come all the way from New York to meet with him and he didn’t even offer to have dinner with us. There was nothing strange to me about this because I didn’t think that welcoming required serving food. This incident was so strange to her that she has mentioned this incident to me many times since. At the time I did not think anything strange about a friend not offering food, but now that I know Korean culture better, I understand why the incident was so odd to her.

In fact, just a few weeks ago while at a dinner several other guests at the table found it to be equally odd. The hostess of the dinner actually had a similar story. She is a Korean-American who grew up here in America and belongs to the generation in which people feel more comfortable with American culture. After driving a long distance to visit a friend, she was served soda and nuts, but no food. Just like my wife, the hostess was shocked that she was not served any actual food. One of the other guests commented, “If you want your Korean guests to leave your house, just put away the food.” and we laughed together.

In American culture when someone comes to visit your house, the first thing you do is ask, “How are you doing?” However, I’ve been told that in Korean culture, the first thing you do when someone comes to visit your house is to ask “Have you eaten yet?”. My wife tells me that such a greeting comes from previous generations when food was scarce. To ask if someone has eaten is to show genuine affection and concern for their well-being.

In general, American people love to eat too. However, their attitudes towards food and eating really depend on the family and household they grew up in, while all Korean people seem to consider eating together and sharing love to be the same. American people don’t necessarily expect others to serve them food whenever they visit other people, including their own family, unless they are invited for a meal. Some American people have big meals when they get together, while others don’t. My family in Wisconsin doesn’t care about eating too much. Food and eating do not play an important role in their lives. My wife thought that her family-in-law were cold people at first because they hardly ever share a meal together, they simply talk when they gather together.  I grew up in that family, but I now love eating and socializing more thanks to my Korean wife.

When my son is visiting and playing at a friend’s house, I try to bring him back home before mealtime. Also his friends’ parents expect him to go home unless he has specifically been invited. In the mean time, I’ve seen how other Korean families took care of my son when he was playing at their houses. Even though I know it was a lot of work for them, they fed my son. As a father, it makes me think that they must be good people to take care of my son like that. Maybe I’m becoming Korean as much as my wife is becoming American.

The more I think about it, Korean attitudes towards food and eating are not really that much different than American attitudes. I think that the difference is that among Koreans, almost everyone has the same attitude about food and eating, whereas among Americans, there is a lot more variability with some people much more concerned about the role of food in socialization than others. It comes from the fact that one’s attitude toward food and eating are a reflection of one’s cultural background and unique upbringing. Even though no attitude is right or wrong, I rather enjoy a big meal among friends and family.

게시글 주소 복사하기 (파폭,크롬에서 실행되지 않습니다.)

도레미 활성화를 위해서 자주 가시는 사이트에 링크해주세요. 감사 ^^;

추천 비추천