미국에서 아이들 처벌하기

부모로서 저는 아이들에게 옳고 그름을 가르칠 필요가 있는데 이를 위해서는 몇가지 절차를 거쳐야 합니다. 첫째는 아이들이 제대로 행동 하도록 가르치는 것입니다. 둘째는 그들이 행동을 바르게 해야 하는지를 가르칩니다. 그리고 세째는 옳은 것과 그른 것의 차이는 부모나 이땅의 권위질서를 능가 하는 진리에 근거 한다는 것을 받아들이고 믿게 하는 것입니다. 간단히 말해서 아이들에게 도덕성을 가르칠 필요가 있다는 것인데요. 처벌이 두려워서 훔치지 않는 것이 아니라 도덕적으로 옳지 않기 때문에 훔치지 않는다는 것입니다. 위대한 기독교 작가인 C.S. Lewis 모든 인간들 사이에 보편적인 인간의 도덕성에 대한 이야기를 했습니다. 모든 인간은 보편적인 도덕성을 가지고 태어 나는데. 우리는 흔히 이를 무시하고 맘대로 나쁘게 행동한다는 것입니다. 부모로서의 일은 아이들에게 보편적인 도덕성에 의지하고 이를 무시하지 않도록 가르치는 것입니다. 결국 제가 아이들에게 바라는 것은 내면의 결과(죄책감과 도덕성) 따르는 것이지 외부의 결과(보상과 처벌의 두려움) 따르는 것이 아닙니다.

아이들에게 옳고 그른 것을 가르치는데 있어서 제가 있는 두가지 방법이 있습니다. 보상과 처벌입니다. 영향에 대한 심리학적인 연구가 많이 있는데요. 위대한 심리학자인 B.F. Skinner 보상만을 이용해서 행동에 있어서 놀라운 변화를 가져오는 능력을 반복적으로 입증해보였습니다. 행동치료라고 불리우는 치료요법 전분야에 걸쳐서 보상의 원리를 이용 하여 공포증에서 마약 중독까지 모든 종류의 문제성 행동을 치유하는데 씁니다. 스키너는 처벌에 대해 반대의 입장을 보이면서  부모들이 절대 이를 이용하지 말라고 조언합니다. 처벌을 가하는 사람에게 흔히 보상이 생기며, 처벌 당하는 사람에게는 공격성이 문제 해결에 타당하다는 것을 가르친다는 것입니다.  저는 스키너를 좋아하지만 처벌을 이렇게 단칼에 치는것은 지나치다고 생각합니다.

과거 미국에서는 체벌(신체에 가하는 ) 타당하게 받아들여졌습니다. 어떤 어른이라도 아무때나 어떤 방식으로나 어떤 아이를 처벌하여도 아무런 상관이 없었지요. 오늘날 교사가 체벌을 쓴다면 직업을 잃을 것입니다. 유감스럽게도 처벌에 관한 합의가 없는 같습니다. 그런데 제가 미국 교회에서 아주 흥미로운 설교를 들었는데  처벌에 관한 명쾌한 내용이었습니다. 설교에 따르면, 체벌이 특정 조건 하에 가해질 있다는 것입니다. 우선 너무 심하면 안되구요, 둘째로 아이를 모욕하는 것도 안되며, 세째로 처벌자가 체벌을 통해 쾌감을 느껴서는 안되며 처벌이 아무런 감정 없이 이루어져야 한다는 것입니다.

그런데 처벌에는 두가지 타입이 있습니다. 긍정적 처벌은 무언가 원하지 않는 것을 더하는 것이고(엉덩이 맞기 같은 ), 부정적 처벌은 무언가 원하는 것을 없애버리는 것입니다(아이들이 제일 좋아하는 장난감을 빼앗기). 저는 제아이들에게 보상 뿐만 아니라 긍정적 처벌과 부정적 처벌도 겸하는데, 올바르게 행동 하는 것을 가르칠 뿐만 아니라 진정으로 옳고 그름을 가르치기 위해서입니다.   아이들이 아주 어렸을 때는 나쁜 행동을 멈추기 위해 체벌을 가했습니다. 아이가 주차장에서 뛰쳐 나가면 즉각 손을 때렸는데 이러한 행동은실수의 여지가 없이 잠정적 결과가 심각할수 있기 때문이었습니다. 체벌은 행동을 빨리 종료시키는 방법일 있습니다. 하지만 이제 아이들이 크고 이해할 능력이 생기니 주차장에서 뛰는 것이 그른지를 설명하게 되었습니다. 흔하게는 간단한 행동이 아니라 복잡한 것들, 다른 사람과 나누고 다른 사람을 배려 하는 것과 같은 것을 가르칠 필요가 있기 때문입니다.

아이들이 그런 상황에서 부적절하게 행동 저는 보통 아이들에게 타임아웃 줍니다. 어떤 재밌는 것도 없고 그냥 벽을 보고 앉아 있는 것이지요. 그런 다음에는 그들의 행동이 틀렸는지에 대해서 아이들과 얘기합니다. 제가 알기로 타임아웃은 독특한 미국 문화인데, 요즘세대는 체벌 대신에 이를 이용하는 같습니다. 미국이 아이들 학대에 유난을 떠니만큼 이에 대한 의심을 받는 것조차 피해야 일입니다. 화가 났을 순간적으로 체벌을 해서는 안되며 이는 우리를 곤란에 빠뜨릴 것입니다. 제가 우려 하는 것은, 일부 미국 교사들이 한국 문화에 대해 몰라서, 혹은 알아도 한국식으로 아이들을 체벌 하는 것에 반대해서 서로 오해를 불러 일으킬 있다는 것입니다. 이러한 오해가 불행한 결과를 불러올수도 있으니 여러분은 이에 대한 문화적 차이를 알아두셔야겠습니다.

Punishment

As a parent I need to teach my children right from wrong. This needs to be done in a multiple step process. First, I need to teach my children to behave. Second, I need to teach them to understand why they need to behave. And third, I need them to accept and believe that the difference between right and wrong is based on a truth that transcends my authority or any earthly authority. In a nutshell, I need to teach my children morality, we don’t not steal because we’re afraid of punishment, but we don’t steal because it is morally wrong. C. S. Lewis, the great Christian writer, talked of a universal human morality shared by all humans. All people are born with this universal morality, but we often choose to ignore it and behave badly anyway. My job as a parent is to teach my children to tap into this universal morality and not ignore it. Eventually, I want my children to be driven by internal consequences (guilt and morality), not external consequences (rewards and fear of authority).

In order to teach my children right from wrong, I have two tools at my disposal, reinforcement and punishment. There is much psychological research into the effects of reinforcement and punishment. The great psychologist B. F. Skinner demonstrated repeatedly the ability to use reinforcement alone to create incredible changes in behavior. In fact, a whole field of therapy called behavioral therapy incorporates the principles of reinforcement to change all kinds of troubling behaviors ranging from phobias to drug addictions. Skinner warned against the use of punishment, however, advising parents to never use it. He argued that punishment is often rewarding to the person administering the punishment and it teaches the person being punished that aggression is an acceptable solution to a problem. I love Skinner, but I think he goes too far to dismiss punishment directly.

In the past in America, it used to be acceptable to use corporal punishment (physical punishment). In fact, it used to be perfectly acceptable for almost any adult to punish almost any child in almost any way at almost any time. Today, if a teacher were to use physical punishment they would probably be out of a job. I’m afraid that there is no consensus on this issue. However, I did hear a very interesting sermon once at an American church which helps to clarify the issue. According to the sermon, physical punishment can be used under certain conditions. First, the physical punishment cannot be too severe. Second, it cannot be degrading to the child. And third, the person administering the punishment cannot take any pleasure from it, the punishment must be delivered unemotionally.

However, punishment comes in two types. Positive punishment involves adding something undesirable (such as a spanking). Negative punishment, on the other hand, involves removing something desirable (as when we take away a child’s favorite toy). With my own children I use a combination of reinforcement and both positive and negative punishment in my attempt to not only make them behave properly, but to truly teach them right from wrong. When my children were very young I used physical punishment to stop bad behavior. When one of my children runs in a parking lot, I immediately slap their hand. This behavior needs to be stopped immediately because there is no room for error, the potential outcome could be deadly. Physical punishment is the way to terminate behavior quickly. However, now that my children are older and able to better understand, I’ve explained why running in a parking lot is wrong. However, more commonly I need to teach my children more complicated things than simple behaviors, things such as sharing and being considerate of others.

When my children act inappropriately in situations like these I generally fall back on giving them “time out”, a time when they cannot do anything fun, just sit and stare at the wall. I follow this with a discussion with them about why their behavior was wrong. I believe that time out is unique to American culture and the current generation seems to use this in place of corporal punishment these days. America is hypervigilant to the problem of child abuse and the last thing you want is to be accused of it. We cannot use physical punishment on the spur of the moment when we are angry, this will get us in trouble. I’m a little concerned that some American teachers are not aware of Korean culture and might disagree with the Korean way of disciplining children, leading to a misunderstanding. This kind of misunderstanding could bring unfortunate consequences and you need to be aware of these cultural differences.

게시글 주소 복사하기 (파폭,크롬에서 실행되지 않습니다.)

도레미 활성화를 위해서 자주 가시는 사이트에 링크해주세요. 감사 ^^;

추천 비추천