남자의 역할

휴가 동안 저는 한국 사람들 모임에 여러군데 갔었는데 남자들 테이블 여자들 테이블 따로 있는 것을 보니 옛날 전통이 생각나더군요. 한국이나 미국에서도 남편의 역할은 전통적으로 돈을 벌어 오는 것이었습니다. 남편들은 가족의 농장에서 일을 하거나 바깥으로 나가기도 했지요. 많은 경우에 남자들은 일을 찾아 오랫동안  집을 비워야 했습니다. 가족을 부양하는데 필요한 돈을 벌기 위해서였죠. 한편 여성들은 전통적으로 아이들을 키우고 요리를 하고 집안을 꾸려 나갔습니다. 여러가지 면에 있어서 이러한 전통적인 역할이 맞아떨어졌는데, 바깥에서의 일은 흔히 육체적으로 힘이 드는 일이었고 남자들이 일반적으로 근육이 많고 아이를 양육하는데는 젖을 먹여야 하기 때문이었습니다. 하지만 이러한 구분은 이제 예전처럼 이치에 맞지가 않습니다.

미국에서 전형적인 남성의 역할은 2차세계 대전 중에 균형이 깨졌습니다. 너무나 많은 미국의 남자들이 외국에서 전쟁 중이었고 그들의 일을 메꿀 인원이 충분치 않아서 여성들의 나서게 되었습니다. 그시절의 유명한 포스터를 보면 힘세보이는 여자(로지 리비터라는 이름이 붙은) 근육을 굽혀 보이며 여성들로 하여금 전통적으로 남성들이 하던 일을 하도록 권하고 있습니다. 여성들은 이를 해냈고 그들의 이러한 지원 없었더라면 전쟁의 결과는 달랐을 정도입니다. 하지만 전쟁이 끝나고 남성들이 돌아와서 옛날 직업을 도로 찾으려 하자 대부분의 여성들은 전통적인 여성의 역할로 돌아가야했습니다. 이러한 경험이 1960년대 미국에서 일어난 여성 운동을 낳았던 것입니다.

몇달 전에 타임 잡지에 가정에서의 남성과 여성의 역할 분담에 변화가 일고 있다는 기사가 났습니다. 점점 많은 남성들이 가사와 자녀 양육 책임을 맡고 있다는 것입니다. 생각에 저희 집도 이러한 변화를 흥미롭게 보이고 있는데요. 우선 제가 아내보다 빨래를 잘하고(저는 8살부터 빨래를 해왔거든요), 빨래 하는 것을 별로 꺼리지 않으니 제가 하는게 낫지요.  둘째로 제가 보통 아이들을 학교에 하교시키는데, 스케줄이 아내보다 여유가 있기 때문이죠. 두가지일 모두 전통적으로 여성의 일입니다만, 저는 이일 하는 것을 마다하지 않습니다. 하지만 아내가 분명 요리를 잘하기 때문에, 저는 부엌 일은 안하려고 합니다. 그런데 이것도 완전히 말이 맞지는 않는 것이, 야채 다듬고 써는 일은 제가 항상 담당합니다(손님 20명이 오는데 양장피 만들려면 이게 일이지요). 게다가 지난 이틀 동안 저는 아내가 김치 한다라를 만드는데 도와주는데 보냈지요. 한편 아내 또한 전통적인 여성의 역할을 박차고 나가 집밖에서 풀타임 직장이 있습니다( 생각에는 아내도 전구 바꾸는 것을 배워야 하는건데 말이죠). 무엇이 되었든지 간에 그것을 잘하는 사람이 하는 것이 낫지요. 남편이건 아내이든 말입니다. 그것이 이치에 맞을 뿐더러 부끄러울 필요가 없습니다.

결혼은남편과 아내가 동등하게 이루어 나가는 평등에 기반을 두어야 한다고 저는 굳게 믿는 사람입니다. 결혼 생활에 필요한 많은 일들이 바깥의 일에서 이루어집니다. 하지만 생각에는 배우자가 바깥에서 일이 없다면, 남편이건 아내건 집안 일을 주로 담당해야만 하는 것이지요. 흔히 문제가 되는 것은 전통적인 사고방식에서 비롯된 남자들의 자존심과 편견입니다.

제가 보기에 많은 한국의 남성들은 세상의 급진적 변화에도 불구하고 그들의 전통적인 역할을 고수 하려고 합니다. 어떤 분들은 자기가 단지 남성이기 때문에 특별히 존중 받을만하다고 느끼는 같습니다. 하지만 오늘날의 사회에서 돈을 버는 것은 남자들만을 위해 정해 놓은 일이 아니지요. 돈을 번다는 것이 남자들만이 있는 어렵고 힘든 노동만을 의미하는 것은 아니니까요. 세상이 변하고 있고 미국에도 변화가 있으며, 어쩌면 한국에서의 변화는 클지 모르겠습니다. 전통적인 역할에 대해 다시 생각해 보고 사회의 변화에 맞게 변화할 필요가 있습니다. 21세기에 남자가 된다는 것이 무엇을 의미 하는지 우리의 아들들에게 가르치는 것이 오늘날 아버지의 일이지요.

Men’s Roles

During the holidays I attended several gatherings of Korean people and was reminded of the old tradition of the men’s table and the women’s table (all the men at one table while the women were at another). In both America and Korea, the husband’s role has traditionally been to provide money. Sometimes husbands worked on the family farm, sometimes at an outside job. In many cases, the men must leave home for long periods of time in order to find work to provide the money necessary to keep the home running. Women, on the other hand, have traditionally been in charge of raising children, cooking, and keeping the house. In many ways, these traditional roles make sense, work outside the home was often physically demanding and men generally have more muscular bodies and childrearing can involve breastfeeding the babies. This distinction, however, does not make as much sense as it used to.

These traditional roles were thrown out of balance in America during World War II. So many American men were overseas fighting the war that there were not enough left to fill all of the jobs and women were required to step up. A famous poster from the era shows a strong woman flexing her muscle (nicknamed Rosie Riveter), encouraging women to take these traditional male jobs. Women did great and the war would have turned out differently without their support. However, at the end of the war the men returned and expected their jobs back and most women had to return to their traditional female roles. This experience, however, was the direct predecessor of the women’s rights movement in America in the 1960s.

In Time magazine a few months ago there was an article about the changing responsibilities of men and women in families. More and more men are taking on more and more of the domestic chores and childrearing responsibilities. I think that my household is an interesting reflection of these changes. First, I am better at doing laundry than my wife (I’ve been doing it since I was eight years old) and I don’t mind doing it too much, so it just makes sense that I would do it. Second, I generally drop the kids off and pick the kids up from school because my schedule is more flexible than my wife’s. Both of these jobs are traditionally women’s jobs, but I don’t mind doing them. However, I don’t want to do any kitchen work because my wife is a good cook, definitely better than me. This is not completely true though, I always get the job of shredding all the vegetables (a huge job when you have 20 people over and you serve spicy mustard salad) and I just spent the last two days helping my wife make a huge batch of Gimchee. My wife on the other hand, also bucks the traditional role and has a full time job outside the home (though I think she should learn to change a light bulb!). Whatever needs to be done is better done by whoever is better at doing it, regardless of whether it is the husband or wife. That’s what makes sense and there is no shame in it.

I firmly believe that a marriage should be based on equity, with equal inputs by both husband and wife. Many of these inputs into the marriage involve work outside the home. But, in my opinion, if one spouse does not have a job outside the home, then they must take primary responsibility for housekeeping, regardless if they are the husband or the wife. The problem that often arises is men’s pride and prejudice about their roles, based on the traditional concepts.

I observe that many Korean men are stubbornly trying to hold onto their traditional roles despite radical changes in the world. Some seem to feel as though they deserve special respect just because they are men. However, earning money in today’s society is not a role reserved only for men since earning money does not necessarily mean hard, back-breaking, work that only men can perform. The world is changing, greatly in America, but perhaps even more so in Korea. We need to start rethinking our traditional roles and change them to fit the changes in society. Fathers, it is our job to teach our sons what it means to be a man in the 21st century.

게시글 주소 복사하기 (파폭,크롬에서 실행되지 않습니다.)

도레미 활성화를 위해서 자주 가시는 사이트에 링크해주세요. 감사 ^^;

추천 비추천