서로 다른 어린시절

제가 자란 미국에서 세상은 아주 다른 곳이었습니다.  사람들은 대문을 잠그고도 안전하다고 느꼈지요. 부모들은 아이들이 맘대로 뛰어다니게 놔두었습니다. 저는 대부분의 어린시절을  친구들과 돌아 다니며 노느라고 보냈습니다. 여름이면 거의 매일 한참 어두워서야 집에 돌아왔고 그나마도 배가 고파서 어쩔수없이 집에 가는 것이었지요. 가장 좋았던 기억은 도서관에서 재미로 책을 읽으며 보냈던 많은 시간들입니다. 계곡에서 동물(물고기, 가재, 거북이등등) 이나 같은 것을 찾아 다니며 온종일을 보내기도 했지요. 숙제를 했던 것은 거의 기억이 안나는데, 숙제를 받아 적이 없었으니까요. 그렇다고 재미만 것은 아니었죠. 아주 어렸을 때부터 잡다한 일을 해야 했습니다. 8 때부터 가족의 빨래를 했고, 설겆이는 9 때부터, 10살때부터는 눈을 치우고(저는 눈이 많이 오는 위스콘신에서 자랐습니다), 잔디를 깍았습니다. 용돈을 벌기 위해서 저는 12 때부터 이웃의 잔디를 깍고 눈을 치우기 시작 했지요. 14살때 여름에는 스테레오를 돈을 벌려고 노동일을 했습니다. 16 때부터 (최연소 고용 나이) 저는 끊임없이 일을 해왔습니다. 대학에 있었을 먹고 살기 위해 때는 세가지 돈벌이를 하기도 했었지요.

오늘날 미국의 부모들은 아이들만 바깥에서 놀게 하는 것을 안전하다고 느끼지 않습니다. 마당에서 사라진 아이에 대한 얘기를 CNN에서 한번만 보도 하면 모든 부모들을 공포로 몰아가는 것이죠. 안된 일입니다. 아이들은 호기심으로 가득 있는데 말이죠. 밖에서 노는 아이들은 이제 거의 없습니다. 자기 마당에서 누가 가까이 지켜 보지 않는 말입니다. 아들은 숙제를 매일 해야 합니다. 하루 대부분의 시간이 짜여 있지요. 학교들은 표준 시험을 통과 하지 못할까봐 너무 걱정을 한는 나머지 표준 시험(텍사스에는 TAKS) 가르치는데만 혈안이 되있는 같습니다. 

한편  우리 세대는 우리 부모님 세대보다 훨씬 잘살게 되었습니다. 봉급이 올라간 덕분이기도 하지만 중국에서 들여오는 저렴한 수입품들 덕분이 크지요. 부모들은 아이들이 갖지 못하는 것들을 물건으로 보상하려는 듯이 보입니다. 하지만 때문에 우리 아이들은 감사히 여길줄을 모르고 버릇만 나빠지는 것입니다. 우리 부모님 세대에는 아이들이 배를 곯지 않고 잠자리에 드는  것이 그들이 책임이라고 믿었습니다. 지금의 세대에서는 그정도로는 충분하지가 않고, 무엇이 됬든지 간에 아이들의 고생도 아닌 고생을 없애는 것이 부모의 일이라고 믿는 같습니다.

아내에 따르면 한국에서 자랄 어린 시절에 대한 추억이라고는 공부하는데 보낸 시간들 뿐이랍니다. 어두울 학교에 가서 어두울 집에 돌아 왔습니다. 당연히 아내는 대학을 졸업할 때까지는 일을 본적이 없습니다. 당연히 그녀에게는 제가 갖고 있는 생활에 대한 지식이 별로 없습니다. 오늘날의 한국 아이들도 아주 비슷한 성장기, 공부하는 어린 시절을 거치고 있는것 같은데요. 어떤 한국 부모님들이 자기 아이들이 공부를 너무 많이해서 코피를 흘렸다는 것을 자랑 하는 것을 보고 저는 정말 놀라고 말았습니다. 사실 한국에 있는 조카가 올해 3 되었는데 처형이 저희더러 아이의 공부에 방해가 되니 올해 한국 방문을 피해 달라는 얘기를 듣고 저는 다시 한번 충격을 받았습니다.

증조 할머니는 자신이 어렸을 고생하신 얘기를 제게 들려주곤 하셨습니다. 새벽 4시에 일어나 젖을 짜주고 닭을 먹여야 했으며 동생들을 보살피고, 날씨가 어떻든 간에 왕복5마일을 걸어서(오고 가는 길에 오르막길을 넘고 넘어서!) 학교에 다니셨다는 것입니다. 저는 얘기를 들을 때마다 버릇 없게 보이지 않으려고 듣는 척은 했지만, ( 시작하시는구나)눈동자를 굴리며 아무 감흥이 없었습니다. 아마 할머니 얘기처럼 얘기도 우리 아이들에게 그렇게 들릴 것입니다. 그럼에도 불구하고 제가 확고히 믿는 것은, 우리 아이들에게 모든 것을 있다고 해서, 주어야 하는 것은 아니라는 것입니다. 교수로서 저는 고등학교 아니라 대학에서도 성적이 월등한 대학생들을 많이 만나게 됩니다. 하지만 이들과 얘기를 해보면 결국 이들이지혜나 진정한 지식에 대해 별로 아는게 없어 보입니다. 진정으로 그들의 잠재력을 성취해 나가려면, 아이들은 책보다도 인생의 경험이 필요하다고 저는 믿습니다.

Childhood

When I was growing up in America, the world was a much different place. People felt safe and left their doors unlocked. Parents allowed their kids to roam at will. I spent most of my childhood exploring and playing with my friends. During the summer I would not come home until well after dark most days, and then only because I had to eat eventually. My best memories were the many hours at the library reading just for fun and all the time I spent playing in the creek looking for animals (fish, crayfish, turtles, etc) and bones. I barely ever remember doing homework, it just was never assigned. However, it was far from all fun and games. I was given chores from a very early age. I was doing the family laundry by the time I was 8, the dishes at 9, and shoveling snow (I grew up in Wisconsin where there is a lot of snow) and mowing the lawn by 10. In order to earn some money, I began mowing and shoveling for the neighbors by the time I was 12. At 14 I spent the summer at a work camp in order to earn the money to buy a stereo. Since age 16 (the minimum age for general employment) I have been constantly employed. At one point in college I had three different jobs in order to pay my way!

Today in America, parents do not feel as though it is safe to allow children to play outside alone anymore. All it takes is one incident on CNN of a child disappearing from a backyard to send all the parents into a panic. It’s too bad too because kids are full of curiosity. There are almost no kids outside playing anymore, except under close supervision in their own yards. My son has homework every day. Much of his time is scheduled. Schools are so worried about the consequences of failing to meet the standards that all they seem to do is teach for the standardized performance tests (TAKS here in Texas).

At the same time, my generation is getting far richer than my parent’s generation, partly due to increased wages, but mostly due to cheap imports from China. Parents seem to be trying to compensate for those things the children are missing. However, this is making our children spoiled, not truly appreciating anything. My parent’s generation believed it was their job to make sure children never went to bed hungry. In the current generation that is not enough, parents seem to believe it is their job to alleviate all suffering for our children, no matter the source.

My wife tells me that while growing up in Korea, the only real memory she has of childhood are the countless hours she spent studying. She would often go to school in the dark and come home in the dark. As expected, she never worked at a job until after she graduated from college. Consequently, she does not have many of the life skills that I have. Korean kids today seem to have a very similar childhood, a childhood of studying. I was absolutely amazed when I heard that some Korean parents brag when their children get bloody noses from too much studying. In fact, my nephew in Korea is in his senior year of high school this year and I was once more shocked to hear that my sister-in-law told us we shouldn’t visit Korea this year because her son needs to study with no distractions.

My great-grandmother used to tell me stories about how hard it was for her as a girl. She’d wake at 4:00 to milk the cows and feed the chickens, care for her siblings, and walk five miles to and from school in all weather (uphill both ways!). Whenever I’d hear these stories, I’d roll my eyes(thinking, here she goes again!) and listen to her just enough that I wasn’t being disrespectful, I didn’t really make anything of it. However, I must sound to my kids much like she sounded to me! Despite this, I am holding firm, just because we can provide our children with everything doesn’t mean we should. As a professor, I encounter many college students that report spectacular grades in high school, and even in college. However, when I sit to talk with them, they inevitably seem to be lacking any kind of wisdom or true knowledge. I believe that children need more life experiences than books can offer in order to truly achieve their potential.

게시글 주소 복사하기 (파폭,크롬에서 실행되지 않습니다.)

도레미 활성화를 위해서 자주 가시는 사이트에 링크해주세요. 감사 ^^;

추천 비추천