취미 있으세요?

미국에서는 거의 모든 사람이 취미를 가지고 있습니다. 취미란 재미삼아 하거나 긴장을 풀기 위해 하는  활동이나 관심들을 말합니다. 어떤 형태의 취미가 되었든지 간에 동일한 목적이 하나 있다면 그것은 취미를 통해 세상으로부터 우리를 격리해 주는 역할을 한다는 것입니다. 우리를 일상생활의 스트레스로부터 멀게 해주지요. 심리학자Mihály Csíkszentmihályi( 진짜 이름 맞아요. 발음을 어떻게 하냐고 묻지 말아주세요!) 따르면 어떤 활동(특히 취미 활동) 깊이 몰입 하다보면 유입(flow)’이라고 하는 일종의 의식 상태로 들어 가게 됩니다. 유입 상태에 이르면 사람들은 자신이 하는 일에 전적으로 몰입 하게 되고 완전한 에너지가 흐르는 것을 느끼게 됩니다. 많은 사람들이 믿기로 명상과 마찬가지로 유입 상태에 들어가면 건강과 웰빙에 이득이 되는 결과를 낳습니다. 세상의 스트레스로부터 다만 몇분이라도 도피할 장소를 제공 하는 것이 취미라는 것이지요.

독립 정신의 전통에서  비롯 되어, 많은 미국인들은 무언가 짓고 고치기를 좋아합니다. 대부분의 미국의 가정에는 작업장 같은 것이 있지요(저도 있는데 차고의 잡동사니 밑에 어딘가 잇어서 찾지를 못해서 그렇죠). 할아버지는 목공일을 있도록 짜여진 작업장을 갖고 계셨습니다. 손주들을 위한 장난감과 호두깍기를 비롯해 온갖 것을 만들어내셨죠. 제가 어렸을 취미는 주로 읽기였는데 이는 어머니한테서 보고 배운 것이었죠. 저는 정말 많은 책을 읽었는데 독서를 통해 많은 것을 배웠습니다. 책들이 제게 역사에 대한 열정을 불러 일으켰지요. 저는 여전히 독서를 즐기기는 하지만, 관심이 다른 쪽의 취미로 바뀌었는데 그것이 동전 수집입니다. 콜렉션을 위해 수집하는 각기 다른 종류의 동전에 담긴 배경과 역사를 조사하는 것이 저는 재미 있습니다.  동전 자체보다는 동전에 대한 뒷조사를 하는 것을 제가 즐기는 같아요. 제가 이런 식으로 얻게 되는 역사에 대한 지식은 심리학 교수로서의 제일에 아주 쓸모가 많은데, 전체적인 윤곽을 이해 하기 위해서는 포괄적인 분야에 대한 지식을 가지고 이를 학생들이 이해 하는 문맥에서 설명해야 하기 때문입니다.

신세대의 많은 젊은이들은 취미를 위해 테크놀로지를 찾습니다. 비디오 게임을 하는 사람들의 숫자와이에 소비 되는 돈의 액수는 엄청납니다. 젊은이들을만을 위한 것이 아니라, 비디오 게임을 좋아하는 어른들도 제가 많이 알고 있지요. 비디오 게임을 통해 유입 상태에 돌입 수만 있다면 이것도 취미가 있겠지만, 많은 경우 그저 시간을 보내기 위한 방법에 불과합니다. 신세대의 젊은이들은 전화 통화 하는 것도 취미라고 것입니다. 수업이 끝나자마자 학생들은 거의 항상 전화를 집고 통화를 하기 시작합니다. 전화 통화 하는 것은 분명 취미가 아니지요.

제가 아는 많은 한국 사람들이 취미를 위한 시간이 없거나 취미를 사소한 것으로 치부 하는 같습니다. 한국 드라마에 중독 되어 이를 보는 것은 취미와는 다릅니다. 아내가 가끔 하듯이, 수동적으로 입을 벌린 멍한 눈으로 TV 응시 하는 것은 유입상태에 들어가는 것이 아니랍니다. 아내와 제가 처음 결혼 했을 ,  그녀에게는 취미도 없었고 취미에 대한 개념이 별로 없었습니다. 결혼 초에는 진짜 심심하다 말하기 일쑤였지요. 한국에서 사람들과 어울리는 것에만 익숙 했었기 때문에, 미국에서는 사람들이  해만 지면 사라져 집으로 가정으로 돌아 가는 것을 아내는 이해하지 못했습니다. 그러다 미국 사람들이 집에서 취미 생활을 한다는 것을 알게 되었지요. 10 결혼 생활 중에 그녀고 이제는 몇가지 취미를 갖게 되었습니다. 시간이 생기면 그녀는 퀼트 하고 스크랩북 만드는것을 즐깁니다. 이들을 정말 좋아하고 이에 몰입하면 유입상태에 들어 가는 것을 제가 있습니다. 거기다 다른 여자들과 얘기꺼리가 되기도 하지요.

취미는 좋은 것입니다. 이를 통해 얻을 있는 것이 너무나 많지요. 생활이 별로 돌아가고 있지 않을 다른 세상으로 탈피해서 즐길 수가 있습니다. 또한 다른 이득도 가져 오는데, 자신에 대한 한가지 다른 면을 얻게 되는 것입니다. 저는 남편이고, 이버지고, 교수이며, 동전 수집가라는 것이지요. 취미를 즐기는 동안 유입 상태에서 외로움을 느끼지 않고 혼자일수가 있습니다. 또한 취미는 사람들을 함께 불러 모으기도 하지요. 사람들과 같은 관심을 나누게 소속감이 생깁니다. 여러분도 이런 취미 활동에서 얻을 것이 있을 것입니다. 시간을 조금만 내시기만 하면 됩니다.

Do you have hobbies?

In America almost everyone has a hobby. Hobbies are activities or interests that we pursue for pleasure and relaxation. Whatever forms they might take, hobbies seem to share a purpose, they allow us to remove ourselves from the world. They distance us from the stresses of our daily lives. According to the psychologist Mihály Csíkszentmihályi (yes, that is really his name, but please don’t ask me to pronounce it!!!), deep involvement in any activity (especially hobbies) allows us to enter a state of consciousness called flow. In the flow state, people become fully immersed in what they are doing and feel fully energized. Many believe that immersion in the flow state, much like meditation, has beneficial consequences on health and well-being. A hobby provides a place where we can escape from the stresses of the world, at least for a few minutes.

Many Americans, in the tradition of an independent spirit, like to build or fix things. Most American homes have some kind of work area (mine does too, I just can’t find it under all the mess in my garage). My grandfather had an elaborate woodworking shop. He built all kinds of things including toys for the grandkids and nutcrackers.

When I was young, my main hobby was reading, a hobby I picked up from my mother. I learned so much from reading, I read a LOT of books. These books instilled in me a love of history. Though I still read history books, my interest has emerged into a different hobby, coin collecting. I enjoy researching the background and history of different coins I acquire for my collection. I think I enjoy the challenge of discovering about the coins more than the coins themselves. This knowledge of history I have acquired is very useful in my job as a psychology professor where I’m expected to know about quite a few different things in order to understand the bigger picture and present material in a context that the students understand.

Many in the younger generation look toward technology to find their hobbies. The number of people that play video games and the amount of money spent on them is amazing. And it’s not just young people, I know plenty of older people who love to play games too.  Video games can be a hobby if they allow one to enter a flow state, but for many, they are simply a way to pass the time. If you ask many in the younger generation, they might say that talking on the phone is a hobby. After my classes the students almost always grab their phones and start talking. Talking on the phone is definitely not a hobby.

Many Korean people that I know don’t seem to think they have enough time for hobbies and almost seem to look down on them as trivial.  No,  addiction to the Korean dramas is not quite the same thing as a hobby. It is not a flow state if you passively watch with your mouth hanging open while you stare at the TV with glassy eyes like my wife sometimes does. When my wife and I were first married, she had no hobbies and didn’t really understand the idea. Early in our marriage she used to say “I am so bored.” She was so used to getting together with people in Korea and didn’t understand the way people  in America disappear after dark, going home to their own families. Then she realized that American people do their hobbies at home. After ten years of marriage she has developed a few hobbies. She enjoys quilting and scrapbooking when she can find the time. She really enjoys these hobbies and I can see that she enters a flow state when immersed in them. Also, they give her something to talk about with other women.

Hobbies are great. They provide so much. I can escape to another world and enjoy something even when the rest of my life is not going great. Hobbies provide other beneficial consequences as well, they provide another layer to our sense of self, I am a husband, father, professor, and coin collector. While enjoying your hobby, you can be alone without feeling lonely while in the flow state. They can also bring people together. When you share the same interests with people it can create a sense of belonging together. Perhaps you too could benefit from a hobby, all you need to find is a lit

게시글 주소 복사하기 (파폭,크롬에서 실행되지 않습니다.)

도레미 활성화를 위해서 자주 가시는 사이트에 링크해주세요. 감사 ^^;

추천 비추천