The American Family

In the 1950s and 60s there was a television show called Leave it to Beaver which I grew up watching in reruns. On this program, the mother (June Cleaver) stayed home and raised the two children Wally and Theodore (his nickname was “the Beaver”) while the husband (Ward Cleaver) was a businessman that played golf every Saturday. When Ward came home from work, his supper was always on the table, after which he’d retire to his den to read his paper. Everything was perfect in the Cleaver family, the kids called their father sir, the lawn was always perfectly trimmed behind the white picket fence, and all problems were solved by the end of the show. And, as if you couldn’t guess, the Cleavers were white. This portrayal of American family life in a suburban neighborhood was seen as “normal”. Despite the fact that I myself have a family which includes a mother, father, and two kids, this portrayal of the “average” American family seems strange today.

I got a DVD from the public library one time to show to my 4-year-old daughter Joa which was about families. Though some families were shown with a mom, dad, and two children, most families did not look like the Cleaver family. In the video, many different types of families were portrayed including single mothers, single fathers, separated parents, and gay couples. In fact, California just legalized gay marriage, thus making this possibility more common. The definition of family has definitely changed in America!

I bet you hear about ‘step’ families pretty often from American people you know. A commonly held way of think about divorce in America is that about 50% of marriages will end in divorce. In South Korea, divorce used to be an unheard of thing, but has risen dramatically in recent years and currently stands at a level that is only slightly lower than America. Most divorces create a family with a single parent. Of course, many people that get widowed or divorced, later get remarried. This adds the ideas of stepchildren, stepparents, stepbrothers and sisters, as well as half-brothers and sisters into the mix. And of course, any combination of any of these can be living together or in different residences and they are all considered as a family in America.

Coming from a “broken-home” used to be something a person would be ashamed about, but now it is just a fact of life that we all must learn to live with. A broken-home is a nontraditional family in which either the mother and/or father does not live with the rest of the family. I grew up in a broken-home. My mother was divorced when she was young and she raised my brother and me by herself. It was pretty courageous undertaking for my mother then, but not a terribly uncommon situation anymore. Growing up in this type of family was difficult for me, not so much because of people making fun of me or making me feel ashamed, but because my mother had to work long hours to keep the house running. She had to leave before I went to school and didn’t return until after dinnertime. From a very young age I was expected to do a lot of the chores around the house and take care of myself. I was basically forced to grow up in a hurry there just wasn’t a chance to enjoy childhood in the way other kids did. In the end, it wasn’t bad at all and I benefited from what I learned through that time. I know a lot of my son’s classmates come from broken homes as well. They have nothing to be ashamed of, it’s just a fact of life.

As I mentioned in my last article, when my family was on vacation at Disneyworld, we got selected as the “first family” for a stage show since we were so representative of the average American family. The fact that my family, a mixed race family, could be selected as an average American family tells you how much the American has changed since the Cleaver family. As the head of my family, I believe that my family is the most important thing I have, no matter what it looks like.

미국의 가족

1950년대와 60년대에 비버한테 맡겨라 텔레비젼 프로가 있었는데 저는 재방송을 보고 자랐지요. 프로그램에서 어머니 클리버는 전업주부로 아이 월리와 띠오도어(그의 별명이 비버였지요) 크우고, 남편 워드 클리버는 사업을 하는 사람인데 토요일마다 골프를 칩니다. 남편 워드가 퇴근을 해서 집에 돌아오면 저녁이 식탁에 항상 차려져 있고 저녁 식사 후에는 자기 서재로 가서 신문을 봅니다. 모든 것이 완벽한 클리버 가정입니다. 아이들은 아버지를 깍듯이sir라고 호칭 하고, 하얀 울타리 너머로 보이는 잔다는 완벽하게 손질이 되어 있고, 모든 문제들이 끝에는 해결 됩니다. 눈치 채시지 못했다면 클리버 가족은 백인들입니다. 교외의 좋은 동네에 자리 잡은 미국 가정의 생활이 보통으로 간주  되었습니다. 제게도 아이 둘과 엄마 아빠가 있는 가정이 있지만 평범으로 묘사 되었던 이런 가정이 오늘날에는 거리가 있어보입니다.

한번은 제가 네살짜리 우리 조아에게 보여 주려고 동네 도서관에서 가족에 대한 비디오를 빌려 왔습니다. 엄마 아빠 아이들이 있는 가족도 있었지만 대부분의 가족들은 클리버 가족 같지는 않았지요. 비디오에는 여러가지 유형의 가족들이 있었는데 독신의 엄마 아빠들과 별거 중인 부부들과 동성 연애 커플들이 나왔습니다. 사실은 캘리포니아에서 동성연애의 결혼이 이제 합법화 되었기 때문에 이런 가능성들이 흔해질 것입니다. 가족에 대한 정의는 미국에서 정말 변한 것이지요.

여러분이 아는 미국 사람들로부터 스텝 패밀리(step families)라는 말을 아주 흔하게 들어 보셨을 것입니다. 흔히 생각 하듯이 미국에서 결혼의 50프로는 이혼으로 끝난다는 것은 사실입니다. 한국에서 이혼이란 말이 예전에는 말도 되는 말이었겠지만 최근에는 극적으로 높아져서 비율이 미국보다 약간 낮은 정도지요. 대부분의 이혼은 독신 부모를 만듭니다. 물론 배우자를 잃거나 이혼한 사람들이 나중에 결혼을 하게 되는 경우도 많지요. 이로 인해 의붓자식, 계모와 계부 이복 형제들을 양산할 아니라 피가 반만 섞인 이복 형제들도 생겨납니다. 이와 같은 다양한 형태의 조합으로 같이 살거나 다른 곳에서 살아도 이들은 모두 미국에서 가족으로 간주 됩니다.

깨어진 가정출신이라는 말이 예전에는 부끄러운 일이었지만 이제는 우리 모두 당면한 현실이 되었습니다. 깨어진 가정이란 어머니나 아버지가 나머지 가족과 살지 않는 것을 말하는데요. 저도 이렇게 깨어진 가정에서 자랐습니다. 어머니는 젊어서 이혼 하시고 형과 저를 혼자 키우셨습니다.  당시 제어머니로서는 대단한 용기를 필요로 하는 일이었지만 요즘에는 그런 상황이 드문 일이 아닙니다.  그런 가정에서 자라는 것이 저로서는 어렵긴 했지만, 사람들이 저를 놀리거나 제가 수치심을 느껴서가 아니라, 어머니가 생계를 꾸리기 위해 장시간 일을 하셨기 때문이었습니다. 제가 학교 가기 전에 일을 나가셔야 했고 저녁 시간이 지나서야 집에 돌아오셨으니까요.아주 어렸을 때부터 저는 집안 일을 해야했고 스스로를 돌보아야 했습니다. 서둘러 철이 들어야 했기 때문에 다른 아이들처럼 어린 시절을 즐길 기회가 없었다고나 할까요. 생각해 보면 나쁘지 않았습니다. 시절을 통해 배운 것들이 살면서 도움이 크게 되었으니까요. 제가 알기로 우리 아들의 학급 친구들 많은 수가 깨어진 가정 중에 속합니다. 부끄러워 일이라기보다는 시대 삶의 현실일 뿐입니다.

제가 지난번 칼럼에서도 언급했지만, 저희 가족이 디즈니월드로 휴가를 갔을 어느 무대에서 일등가족으로 뽑힌 것은 저희가 보통 미국 가정을 대표할수 있기 때문이었습니다. 다른 인종으로 결합된 가정이 미국의 보통 가정으로 선택 있다는 자체가 클리버 가족 이후로 미국사람들이 얼마나 변했는지를 대변합니다. 가장으로서 저는 형태야 어떻든간에 가족이야말로 내가 가진 가장 중요한 것이라고 믿습니다.

게시글 주소 복사하기 (파폭,크롬에서 실행되지 않습니다.)

도레미 활성화를 위해서 자주 가시는 사이트에 링크해주세요. 감사 ^^;

추천 비추천