The American Experience at Disneyworld

I recently got a chance to visit Disneyworld. The centerpiece at the Magic Kingdom, the original park in Disneyworld, is the huge Disney Castle. It is really a sight to behold and many foreigners think of Disneyworld and that castle when they think of America. Guess what? When you actually get to the castle, it is empty. It is a fake castle, all show and no substance. Though Mickey and the Princesses do not truly represent what America is about, America really can be found at Disneyworld if you just look hard enough.

One of the four major parks in Disneyworld was the Epcot Center. In the Epcot Center are two different areas, Future World and the World Showcase. At the World Showcase, a bunch of different countries put together “areas”. Each country’s area was different. They all served their unique food, sold souvenirs from their countries, and were decorated like the country. The workers in each area were actually from the country the areas represented. Each area also had some kind of ride or show about the country. I think the areas were actually sponsored by the department of tourism from each of the countries. My family ate lunch in Japan, a snack in China, dinner in the United Kingdom, and also visited Norway, France, and Canada. However, in the center of all this international atmosphere was The American Adventure.

At the American Adventure we ate a smoked turkey leg. I’ve never had one before even though they are commonly sold at carnivals and fairs in America. I felt so American to be holding this huge drumstick. Though it was fun to eat, it was at the same time really gross to be eating this huge piece of meat wrapped in a napkin in a street. A woman who appeared Japanese came up to me and asked me in broken English where I got it from, I guess she wanted the American experience too!

Also at the American Adventure was a theater which presented a show which was advertised as “an inspirational story of America and its people”. My family went in to watch the show and found that there was a group of people dressed in old-time clothing singing American patriotic songs. My family was singled out by one of the workers to be “the first family”. She gave us a certificate and allowed us to sit in special seats for the music part. Then, at the theater, they allowed us to be seated first, then they introduced us to the whole theater. I guess my family represents the “American Family” since we are true mixture of different cultures and languages. The show was amusing, describing the history of America from the Pilgrims to modern America. The show was “narrated” by two animatronics robots dressed to look like Mark Twain and Benjamin Franklin, two true Americans.

For me, the most interesting part of the whole experience was a set of twelve statues in the theater that were supposed to represent the spirit of America. Each statue represented a character trait or “spirit” which is desirable in America, those that played a role in our development. You could say that to understand these statues is to understand something about America. The Spirit of Adventure was represented by a Seaman, Compassion by a Doctor, Discovery by a Mountain Man, Freedom by a Pilgrim, Heritage by an American Indian, and Independence by a Colonial Soldier. The spirit of Individualism was represented by a Cowboy, Innovation by a Scientist, Knowledge by a Teacher, Pioneering by an Aviator, Self-reliance by a Farmer, and Tomorrow by a Woman and Child. Though many of these spirits are not unique to America, what they represent may be. Maybe Disneyworld is a truly American attraction after all. Walt Disney was a true American who had a dream and made it a reality using all of these traits.

디즈니 월드에서 경험하는 미국

최근에 디즈니월드를 방문하게 되었습니다. 디즈니월드의 원조공원이라 있는 매직킹덤 한가운데에는 거대한 디즈니의 성이 자리하고 있지요. 이것이 참으로 볼만한 광경이라 많은 외국인들은 미국에 대해 생각할 디즈니와 성을 떠올립니다. 그런데 이거 아세요? 실제로 성안을 들어가보면 비어있습니다. 가짜 성인 셈이지요. 겉에서 그냥 보여주기 위한 것일 안에는 별거 없습니다.  미키 마우스나 공주들이 미국의 실체를 보여 주는 것은 아니지만 보면 디즈니에서도 미국을 찾을 있답니다.

네개의 주된 공원 중에 엡캇 센터가 있는데요. 엡캇 센터는 미래의 세개와 세계 전시장이라는두개의 서로 다른 지역으로 나뉘어져 있습니다. 세계 전시장에는 여러 나라들이 자리를 차지 하고 있는데요, 나라마다 자리가 다릅니다. 각기 그나라들의 음식과 그나라에서 나오는 기념품들을 팔고 있고 나라처럼 꾸며져 있습니다. 자리에서 일하는 사람들은 실제로 그나라 출신들입니다. 자리마다 것도 있고 그나라에 관한 공연도 보여줍니다. 생각에는 나라의 관광청에서 후원을 받고 각지역이 마련된 같았습니다. 우리 가족은 일본에서 점심을 먹고 중국에서 간식을 했으며 저녁은 영국에서 먹었지요. 노르웨이와 프랑스 ,캐나다도 방문 했습니다. 하지만 모든 국제적 환경의 한가운데에 미국의 모험관 있었지요.

미국의 모험관에서 우리는 터키 다리를 뜯어먹었습니다. 미국의 카니발이나 동네 잔치에서 흔히 파는 음식인데도 불구하고, 저도 그전에는 한번도 먹어보지 못한 것이었지요. 거대한  다리를 뜯으면서 자신이 너무나 미국인답게 느껴졌습니다. 먹는 것은 재미 있었지만 한편으로는 냅킨에 쌓인 고기덩어리를 길에서 뜯는 것이 사실 지저분한 일이기도 했습니다. 일본인으로 보이는 여성이 제게 다가와 안되는 영어로 제가 어디서 다리를 샀는지 묻더군요. 그녀도 미국적인 경험을 하고 싶었나봅니다.

미국 모험관에는 극장이 있는데 여기서 미국과 사람들의 감동적인 이야기라고 선전 되는 공연을 보여줍니다. 공연을 보려고 들어 갔더니 옛날 시대 차려 입은 일단의 사람들이 미국의 애국적인 노래들을 부르고 있었습니다. 우리 가족은 여기서 퍼스트 패밀리 뽑혀서 기념패도 받고 음악 공연을 특별 자리에 앉았습니다. 극장에서도 먼저 들어가 앉게 되고 극장 전체에 우리 가족이 소개 되기도 했지요. 그러고보니 우리 가족이 미국의 가정 대표한다고도 할수 있겠네요. 다른 문화와 언어의 결합이니 말입니다. 극장의 공연은 개척자들로부터 현대의 미국에 이르기까지 미국의 역사를 묘사한 것이었는데 재미 있었습니다. 만화처럼 움직이는 두명의 로봇이 이야기를 끌어 가고 있었는데 마크 투웨인과 벤자민 프랭클린의 분장이었습니다. 두사람이야말로 진정으로 미국을 대표하는 인물들이지요. 

제게 가장 흥미로왔던 부분은 극장 안에 있던 12개의 동상이었는데 동상별로 미국의 정신을 대표 하는 것이었습니다. 동상에는 특성이라고 , 미국의 개발에 역할을 바람직한 정신 상을 대표 하고 있습니다. 동상들을 본다면 미국의 핵심을 알게 된다고도 있겠지요. 모험 정신은 선원이 대표 하고 동정은 의사가, 발견은 산악인이, 자유는 초기 개척자가, 미국의 유산은 인디언이, 독립은 식민지 시대의 병사가 대표합니다. 개인주의의 정신은 카우보이가 대표 하고 혁신은 과학자가 지식은 교사가 개척은 비행사가 자립은 농부가 미래는 여자와 아이에 의해서 대표됩니다. 어쩌면 디즈니월드가 사실 미국의 상징일지도 모르겠네요. 월트 디즈니가 자신의 꿈을 모든 정신을 이용해서 현실화시켰으니 말입니다.

게시글 주소 복사하기 (파폭,크롬에서 실행되지 않습니다.)

도레미 활성화를 위해서 자주 가시는 사이트에 링크해주세요. 감사 ^^;

추천 비추천