동양 문화와 서양 문화가 다른 것중에 하나는 ‘개인주의’에 대한 것입니다. 한국 사회는 집단의 결합을 개인적인 성공보다 더 중요시 하는 편이죠. 전통적 한국식 시회관이 분명히 변화를 거듭해왔지만, 특히 가족 관계에 있어서 아직도 그 뿌리는 남아 있는걸 보게 됩니다. 미국 사회에서는 개인의 성취를 중요시 하는 경향이 있습니다. 미국이라는 나라가 ‘독립 선언문’에 기초된 것만 보아도  알 수 있고, 그 개척 정신이 오늘날까지 살아 있죠. 한국 사람들에게는아마 이런 미국식 개인주의에서 비롯된 행동들이 이상하게 느껴질 때가 있을 것입니다.

한국 사람들은 미국인들이 이기적이라고 느낄때가 많이 있는 것 같습니다. 미국 사람들이 개인주의적으로 행동하기 때문이죠. 하지만 개인주의는 욕심이 많거나 이기적인 것과는 다릅니다.  개인주의란 내가 원하는 것, 내가 필요한 것은 내가 결정한다는 사실에 대한 인정입니다. 따라서 내가 도움이 필요 하거나 원하는 것이 있으면 내가 직접 요청한다는 것이죠. 이에는 다른 사람들도 그렇게 하리라는 가정이 따릅니다. 누가 나에게 물어오면, 언제든지 내가 가진 것을 나누거나 도움을 줄수 있죠.  

예를 들어보죠. 레스토랑에 가서 한국 사람들은 흔히 같이 음식을 시켜서 다 같이 나누어먹죠. 미국 사람들은 각자 자신의 것을 시킵니다. 내가 먹고 싶은 것을 시키는거죠. 내가 시킨 것을 주로 먹지만 누가 원하면 얼마든지 내것을 함께 나누는 것을 마다하지 않는 것이 개인주의의 한 단면이라 할까요. 제가 먹던 음료수를 권하지 않으니까 처음에 제 아내는 제가 이기적이라고 생각했습니다. 하지만 저한테 달라고 하지도 않았는데요. 한국인이로서, 제 아내가 익숙 했던 것은 먼저 묻지 않아도 권하는 문화였던 것입니다. 미국 사람들이 먼저 권하지 않는다고 기분 나빠하지 마세요. 일부러 무례하거나 이기적이라서기보다 개인주의적이라서 그럴꺼에요. 달라고해야 줍니다. 한번은 다른 미국 가족들과 저희 집에서 디너 파티를 했는데 각자 음료수나 아이들의 간식등을 분담해서 가지고 왔습니다. 파티가 끝난후 각 가정들이 가지고 왔다가 남은 것을 자기 집에 도로 가져가자, 제 아내는 그들의 행동이 참 ‘치사하다’고 생각하더군요. 그들이 ‘치사한’ 것이 아니라 나눌 때는 나누지만 내것은 내것이라는 개인주의의 한 단면이라고 설명해 주었습니다.  

제 개인적으로는 대학교때 진로 결정이 미국 개인주의의 좋은 예가 되겠네요. 제가 대학에 들어 갔을때, 제자신이 좋아하는 전공을 추구하라는 말만 들었습니다. 부모님을 기쁘게 하기 위해 이런 저런 전공을 택하라는 압력을 받아 본적이 없어요. 제 어머니는 제가 나름대로의 독특한 개인이라는 것을 인정 하셨고, 어머니의 개인적인 인생 목표가 아들을 기쁘게 하지 않으리라는 것을 아셨습니다. 우리는 각자 다른 사람들이니까요. 이제 다른 학생들을 지도 하는 입장에 놓인 지금, 저 역시 학생들이 다른 사람의 압력에 의해서가 아닌, 진정으로 자신의 길을 가도록 충고 합니다. 다음주에는 개인주의와 비슷하지만 또 다른, 미국 문화의   ‘독립정신’에 대해 이야기 하도록 하겠습니다.

Individualistic vs. Collective Societies

One of the fundamental differences between Asian cultures and Western cultures is in their views of individuality. Korean society tends to value group cohesion over individual success. Obviously, the traditional Korean model of socialization has changed somewhat in recent years, but plenty of evidence still exists for it, especially in the form of family relationships. American society tends to emphasize individual achievement. America was founded with the Declaration of Independence. A pioneering spirit lives on to this day. This American style of individualism leads to some behaviors that Korean people find odd.
Korean people sometimes view American people as selfish because they show this individualism. However, individualism does not necessarily make one greedy or selfish. Individualism is a recognition that I am the best judge of what I want and need, therefore I will let others know if I need help or want something. Also, I assume that others will do so too. If asked, I will share anything or help out wherever needed. As an example, at a restaurant Korean people tend to order some dishes and share them all together. American people tend to order individually, I order the item that I want. I will eat mostly what I have ordered, but I am perfectly willing to share if anyone asks. That’s part of individualism. My wife thought that I was being selfish when I didn’t offer to share my soda with her. But she didn’t ask! As a Korean she was used to being offered without asking first. Don’t be offended if American people don’t offer something. They probably don’t mean to be rude or selfish, but they are being individualistic. All you need to do is to ask. I remember that we had a dinner party once with other American families. They brought some sodas and snacks to share and when the party was over, they took the leftovers with them. My Korean wife thought they were being ‘cheesy’, but I explained to her that is part of individualism, meaning that I’m willing to share, but mine is mine.
My college career provides a good example of American individualism from my personal life. When I entered college, I was only told that I should pursue that field that made me happy. I was never pushed to go into one field or another to please my parents. My mother realized that I am a unique individual and her life goals would not make me happy because we are different. To this day, when I advise students, I make sure that the career paths the students choose are truly their own and not forced onto them by someone else. Next week I’ll discuss a similar but different concept fro individualism in American culture, independence.
게시글 주소 복사하기 (파폭,크롬에서 실행되지 않습니다.)

도레미 활성화를 위해서 자주 가시는 사이트에 링크해주세요. 감사 ^^;

추천 비추천