사회 구성원 각자가 내보이는 시민 정신과 예의가 좋은 사회를 이루는 핵심이 됩니다. 저는 한국 사람들이 연장자들에게 보이는 존경심에 대해 늘 감탄을 금치 못해왔습니다. 또한 서로에 대한 예의범절이 각별한 것도 보아왔죠.

그런데 몇가지 저를 놀라게 한 것도 있습니다. 한국 사람들은 자기가 아는 사람에게 하는 것에 비해서 모르는 사람들을 향해서는 별로 호의적인것 같지가 않아요. 어떤 때는 거의 적대적이라고까지 느껴질 때가 잇습니다. 제게는 제게 간이라도 빼어줄 좋은 한국 친구들이 많이 있기 때문에, 한국인들이 얼마나 마음이 따뜻한 사람들인줄 잘 알죠. 그래서 더욱 한국 사람들이 낯선 이들에게 대하는 태도를 보면 얼떨덜해집니다. 한편, 미국 사람들은 길에서 마주치는 모르는 사람들을 보고도 미소를 머금으며 흔히 ‘하이’ 라고 인사를 나눕니다. 주마다 정도가 다르긴 해도(가령 뉴욕에서는 기대도 하지 마세요) 미국 문화에서는 자연스러운 일이죠. 물론 사람마다 도시마다 이렇게 차이가 있긴 하지만, 제가 본 보편적인 경험들을 말씀드리는겁니다.

문화마다 예의범절이 다르죠. 미국 가정의 아이들은 그 부모에게 반드시 ‘고맙습니다’ ‘해주세요’라 말하고, 순서를 기다리며, 다른 집을 방문할 때 행동을 잘하도록 교육 받습니다. 제가 보기에 한국의 아이들은 좀 다르게 행동하는 것 같습니다. 부모님께 부탁조로 말하거나 감사를 표현 하기보다는 요구하는 경향이 있습니다. 다른 사람의 집을 방문할 때, 제가 미국인의 눈으로 보기에는 한국의 아이들이 너무 ‘편하게’ 행동 하는 것을 보게 됩니다. 가구 위에 올라 간다든지, 남의 냉장고를 함부로 연다든지, 문이 닫혀 있는 남의 방에 들어가는 것은 미국 사회에서는 정도를 벗어난 행동입니다. 미국 문화에서 아이들이 그렇게 행동한다면, 버릇이 없거나 교육이 잘 안된 것으로 여겨집니다. 한국 문화에서는 괜찮은 것으로 저도 알고 있지만, 여러분의 자녀들이 미국 문화와 사람들 속에 매일 둘러 싸여 있는 것을 감안 하신다면, 미국적인 기준도 연습하도록 하는 것이 좋다는 것이 제 생각입니다.

교수로서 만나게 되는 학생들을 보면, 같은 미국인인데도 어떤 학생들은 예의 범절이 바르고 어떤 학생들은 그렇지 못합니다. 예의가 바른 학생들은 교수에게 존경심을 보이며 그렇지 않은 학생들은 교수를 존중하지 않습니다. 그런 학생은 수업에 늘 늦기 마련이고, 수업을 제대로 듣지 않으며 항상 변명이 많습니다. 사람들과의 상호 관계에 있어서도 기본적인 기술이 딸립니다. 비슷한 경우로 대기업 회사들도 고용인들의 예의범절을 심각하게 평가 합니다. 예의가 바른 사람들은 성격도 좋고 따라서 회사에서도 잘 적응한다는 것이 지론입니다.

예의범절이 사소한 문제인 것 같지만, 사실은 매우 중요합니다. 예의가 바르다는 것은 그 사람의 인격에 대해 중요한 사실을 드러냅니다. 예의가 바른 사람은 마음이 따뜻하고 사려깊고, 다른 사람을 배려 할줄 아는 사람으로 보입니다. 문제는 문화마다 이러한 예의범절을 조금씩 다르게 표현 할 때가 있다는 것입니다. 그 나라의 문화와 예의를 이해 하고 그에 따라 행동함으로써 문화적인 차이에서 오는 오해를 줄이는 것이 중요 하다고 저는 생각합니다. 저는 한번은 저희 장인어른께 한손으로 물을 건넸다가 무척 혼나고 당황 했던 적이 있습니다. 제 아내 탓입니다. 제게 그것을 알려 주지 않았기 때문이죠. 저는 예의바르고 남을 잘 배려할 줄 아는 사람이라고 자부 하는데, 한국 문화권에서는 제가 그 반대로 보였던 것입니다. 저의 무지와 오해에서 비롯된 것입니다. 여러분은 미국 문화안에 사시면서  그런 오해를 당하지 않으시길 바랍니다.

Column 5        Manners at Home         
Good citizenship and manners by individual people lies at the heart of a good society. I’ve always been impressed by Korean people’s respect for elders. I’ve also noticed how polite adults can be toward each other.
However, I have noticed a few things which surprise me. It seems to me that Korean people are not as friendly to strangers they don’t know as they are to people they do know, and sometimes I feel as though some Korean people are downright hostile. I have many good Korean friends who will do anything for me (say, if I need a kidney, they will give it to me), and as a result, I know how warm Korean people can be. This is why I am even more puzzled to see the way some Korean people treat strangers. On the other hand, American people generally smile and say hi to strangers on the street. That’s kind of expected in American culture although different states in America have different tendencies (like in New York, don’t expect anything like that!). Of course it really varies among different people and cities. I’m only telling you of my observations from my personal experiences.
There are many different manners in different cultures. In American homes, children are expected to say please and thank you to their parents, wait their turn, and be well behaved when visiting others. However, I’ve noticed that Korean children differ in these things. Korean children do not say please or thank you to their parents and instead tend to demand things. When visiting another’s home, I’ve noticed, as an American, that Korean children “make themselves at home” more than is normal in American society by climbing on furniture, opening refrigerators, and entering closed rooms. In American culture, children that act like that are felt to be spoiled and undisciplined. I understand that all of these behaviors are acceptable in Korean culture, but you must remember that your kids will be surrounded by American culture and people every day so I think it is important for them to also practice American standards.
As a professor, I meet students who are well mannered, and students who are ill mannered though they are all American. Well mannered students show proper respect for me and other students, ill mannered students do not. Ill mannered students tend to show up late for class regularly, don’t listen when they are in class, and always have excuses.  They lack the basic skills to properly interact with others. Similarly, many major companies critically evaluate a potential employee’s manners. The theory goes, people with good manners have better personalities and therefore will fit in better at the company.
         Though manners seem to be a trivial matter, they are very important. Politeness indicates something special about a person’s character. A polite person is viewed as more warm and thoughtful, caring of others. The problem here is that different cultures show different manners sometimes.  I think it’s important to bridge the cultural gap by understanding and following different rules in different cultural settings. I once handed a cup of water to my father-in-law with one hand and I got scolded and embarrassed. I blame my Korean wife for that. It happened because she didn’t inform me of the proper way. I am proud to say that I am a well-mannered and caring person, but in a Korean cultural setting it wasn’t showing because of my ignorance and a cultural misunderstanding. I hope you don’t get misunderstood like that in American cultural settings.

게시글 주소 복사하기 (파폭,크롬에서 실행되지 않습니다.)

도레미 활성화를 위해서 자주 가시는 사이트에 링크해주세요. 감사 ^^;

추천 비추천